Your role in one sentence
Travel Coordinators at the YES are responsible for ensuring students’ smooth travels – from overseeing their international travels to arranging local transportation between Berlin and Werbellinsee as well as assisting all other volunteers with planning their local connections between Berlin and the YES site.
We expect from you
To dedicate your time and energy to smoothly coordinate all students’ travels to and from the YES 2017, ensure that everyone has necessary travel documents (including tickets, passports/ID cards and visas) and assist volunteers with planning their YES travels.
You can expect from us
We promise a fantastic seminar where you will get a chance to personally meet and greet every student, volunteer and guest. You will also stay in the centre of attention (travel is important!) and will, of course, build new friendships in a great environment.
The Young Europeans’ Seminar (YES) aims to contribute to the development of young global citizens through learning and volunteering together in a spirit of international friendship.
The Young Europeans’ Seminar is a yearly massive intercultural get-together for over 500 European exchange students at the end of their school year, all put together by a team of over 100 YFU volunteers. The YES is a unique opportunity to reunite with old friends from all over Europe and make new ones, creating a bridge between the exchange year and the return home. It’s a fun learning experience where students explore what it means to be a citizen of the world through diverse interactive learning activities. The international team of volunteers creates a unique spirit and an amazingly motivational experience for everyone at the YES.
“Think free. Act free. Be free!” is the topic of the YES 2017. This year we will focus on different aspects of freedom, such as but not limited to freedom of the press, speech, diversity, expression and assembly.
The YES 2017 aims to give participants the chance to explore and (re)discover the possibilities they are given by the freedoms they possess. It encourages the students to make use of their unique experiences and insights to enable positive change around the globe.
The YES 2017 will take place in Werbellinsee (Germany) from 26 to 30 June 2017. It is organized by EEE-YFU together with YFU Estonia and YFU Sweden, with the in-country support of YFU Germany.
What do you gain?
Participating at the YES as a volunteer is a truly rewarding experience. The seminar lasts for 4 days and there is so much you can gain:
- Possibility to share your volunteer experience and get to know a lot of new people
- Increasing skills in facilitating group work and learning processes of peer groups
- Experience of working with YFU on an international level
- Passing on the YFU spirit
- Opportunity to be a part of the biggest YFU event in Europe and have a great time
Travel Coordinators at the YES are responsible for ensuring smooth students’ travels – from overseeing their international travels to arranging local transportation between Berlin and Werbellinsee, where the YES takes place. In addition, Travel Coordinators assist all other volunteers with planning their local connections between Berlin and the YES site.
If selected, you will work closely with Aile Arro from YFU Estonia, who has been taking care of YES travels throughout the last couple of years. The two of you will make all necessary arrangements and share the workload before, during and after the seminar.
Travel Coordinators are members of the Logistics Team and are also a part of the International Organising Team. Since tasks related to travel coordination start quite some time in advance before the YES, the Travel Coordinators also need to be selected at an earlier stage.
As a Travel Coordinator, your tasks will be to:
- work closely with Aile, distribute tasks evenly
- provide national YFU organisations with information on arranging their students and accompanying volunteers’ travels to and from the YES, and otherwise communicate with them regarding all travel-related matters
- manage the travel section of the YES 2017 Database
- book shuttle busses, transporting students and accompanying volunteers between Berlin and Werbellinsee
- work together with the bus company to prepare shuttle bus schedules, meeting the needs of all traveling students and accompanying volunteers
- welcome all students and accompanying volunteers upon arrival to the YES site, collect their travel and personal identity documents for safekeeping for the duration of the YES
- arrange smooth departure of all students and accompanying volunteers, ensuring that all their documents are returned to them
- advise all volunteers, who are not traveling with the students, about their local connection options prior to the YES
- prepare, manage, and update a Masterfile with all travel-related data
- during the YES, check validity and expiration dates of visas, passports and residence permits, and be ready to solve travel-related issues that may arise
As a Travel Coordinator, you ideally should:
- have previous experience in arranging logistics (preferably travel coordination, even if on a smaller scale);
- have previous YES experience (preferably in the Logistics Team);
- have good communication skills, both written and oral;
- have previous experience in working with teenagers and youth;
- be able to organise, plan ahead, manage multiple tasks at the same time and work under pressure;
- have good problem solving skills;
- be able to balance being strict and polite at the same time;
- be well-suited for team work;
- be fluent in English;
- be able to speak German (preferred, but not mandatory).
Call for a Travel Coordinator can be downloaded here: YES 2017 Call for a Travel Coordinator
You can apply here.
Deadline: 8 December, 2016
Questions? Ask Ieva at firstname.lastname@example.org
Logistics’ Team Coordinator, YES 2017