Your role in one sentence
As the YES Intern in Hamburg you will help with the organisation of the YES in the month before the event, by supporting the team with the final preparations from YFU Germany’s office in Hamburg. You will also be an important resource person at the YES itself!
We expect from you
To be dynamic and proactive team player, eager to find solutions and to develop skills in project and event management.
You can expect from us
We promise an internship where you can learn a lot, meet lots of new people and get the chance to bound together with the team of volunteers in a great environment.
The Young Europeans’ Seminar (YES) aims to contribute to the development of young global citizens through learning and volunteering together in a spirit of international friendship.
The Young Europeans’ Seminar is a yearly massive intercultural get-together for over 500 European exchange students at the end of their school year, all put together by a team of over 100 YFU volunteers. The YES is a unique opportunity to reunite with old friends from all over Europe and make new ones, creating a bridge between the exchange year and the return home. It’s a fun learning experience where students explore what it means to be a citizen of the world through diverse interactive learning activities. The international team of volunteers creates a unique spirit and an amazingly motivational experience for everyone at the YES.
“Think free. Act free. Be free!” is the topic of the YES 2017. This year we will focus on different aspects of freedom, such as but not limited to freedom of the press, speech, diversity, expression and assembly.
The YES 2017 aims to give participants the chance to explore and (re)discover the possibilities they are given by the freedoms they possess. It encourages the students to make use of their unique experiences and insights to enable positive change around the globe.
The YES 2017 will take place in Werbellinsee (Germany) from 26 to 30 June 2017. It is organised by EEE-YFU together with YFU Estonia and YFU Sweden, with the in-country support of YFU Germany.
What do you gain?
Participating at the YES as an intern is a truly rewarding experience. There is so much you can gain:
- Possibility to share your experience and get to know a lot of new people
- Increasing skills in managing a project, working in a multi-cultural team, and in organising a big event
- Experience of working on an international level
- Living the YFU spirit
- Opportunity to be a part of the biggest YFU event in Europe and have a great time
You will start your internship at the beginning of June 2017 (between 5-12 June – we will decide upon the exact date together with you) and finish at the beginning of July 2017 (5-12 July – we will decide upon the exact date together with you). You will be based in YFU Germany’s office in Hamburg, working directly with the YES organising team.
Your international travel expenses will be reimbursed upon receipt. In addition, we will provide a small monthly stipend to help you cover your costs. You are responsible for having a valid insurance and visa (if needed). In case you do not have accommodation in Hamburg, we will support you in looking for a suitable option (with volunteers, Airbnb, etc.).
As the YES Intern, you will be responsible for providing administrative, logistic, and management support for the YES 2017 Organising team. One of your main tasks will be ordering, purchasing and sorting all necessary materials prior to the YES 2017. You will assist in handling logistical matters, such as preparing all participants’ name tags, signs, and the logo panel, distributing housing, and the like.
In the days before the event, you will supporting the YES 2017 travel team by preparing arrival, departure and other travel-related information for students and volunteers.
At the YES itself, you will assist the Content and the Logistic Team Leaders in a variety of tasks – be ready for improvisation, and hard work! In the days after the YES, you will take care of repacking and stocking different materials.
If you wish to be the Hamburg-based YES Intern for the YES 2017, you should:
- Be at least 20 years old
- Have good command of English and German (spoken and written)
- Be able to work effectively and learn different software and web-based programs (learning by doing)
- Have previous YES experience (desirable) or experience in event organising
- Have high level of motivation, responsibility and dedication to the objectives of the YES 2017
- Be able to work independently and make reasoned decisions as well as ability to keep deadlines
- Have quick comprehension of new concepts and be a team player
- Have good time management and organisational skills, a willingness to learn and the ability to work under pressure
- Be enrolled in a University Programme, such as Management, Communications, or other (preferred, but not compulsory)
If you are not a perfect match, but still think you could be right for this task, please don’t hesitate to apply.
Questions? Ask Ieva at email@example.com
Logistics’ Team Coordinator, YES 2017