The idea for Voluntaria originated with some YFU volunteers during a EEE-YFU training course in Turkey in the end of February 2014. They realized that what we were missing is a European gathering of experienced YFU volunteers; out of this grew Voluntaria 2016, an amazing event that gathered over 70 YFUers in Czech Republic.
Each year’s Voluntaria has a specific theme. In late 2015, YFU’s Vision for a “peaceful world with responsible and global citizens” was adopted. So, in order to support developing YFU’s expertise to be fit for mission, Voluntaria 2017’s theme will be Global Citizenship.
Some of the more specific needs addressed by Voluntaria include:
• need to motivate volunteers and help them see a bigger picture
• need to develop European networking through increased sharing and exchange
• need for more learning opportunities for volunteers to increase their YFU skills
Aim – What is the Voluntaria Effect?
Voluntaria aims to celebrate volunteering and further develop and connect a vibrant international YFU movement with individuals who are committed to develop and live the YFU mission.
It’s objectives will be to:
• provide space for volunteers to have fun and be creative together
• create value-based activities to motivate and inspire volunteers and celebrate volunteering
• create a YFU movement by connecting volunteers so they can contribute to unifying some network processes and foster more communication among grass roots volunteers
• increase knowledge about the YFU network and inspire people to challenge paradigms and have an outward looking mindset
• create a self-directed space for learning, creation, fun and fostering new emergent projects
• help develop YFU’s expertise in Global Citizenship Education
• contribute to preparing a Global Citizenship Campaign and inspire new volunteers to become involved
• reach out to the local community through a Forum Theatre play on social issues